<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

New Beginnings 

I'm taking the advice of Tony Pierce on "How to Blog" and making a new go at it. While I should be doing work right about now, I'm not. I'm starting fresh. I'm starting with a movie review.

I saw A Bronx Tale for the first time the other night. And while I thought it was an okay movie, I can't say I am as in love with it as most everyone else that has seen it seems to be. Plus, I think the main reason I liked it so much is because I went to Fordham University and the movie takes place in the surrounding neighborhood. It was pretty cool seeing sights on film that I lived in.

The movie basically tells the tale of a young man named Calogero coming of age. He is torn between living the upstanding lifestyle of his father or the more street savvy, gangster ridden path of the neighborhood don, Sonny. Or, at least this is how the movie defines itself. Personally, I didn't see it this way. I didn't feel Calogero, or "C" as he likes to be referred to, is all that torn. Sonny tells C time after time that he is smart enough to not partake in the same lifestyle he does. I also think that Lorenzo, Calogero's father, is not a very developed character. We never see him struggle with the choices he makes which causes him to come across as to martyr-like for my taste. I think if he were to seem more human C would be able to relate to him a bit more (not to mention the audience as well).

All in all, I liked the actors, liked the scenery, somewhat like the story, but didn't feel it was all it is built up to be. Please share your own opinions.

me.

Comments:
Yeah.. I wasn't feeling that film at all. But I did want to say "right on" to your renewed blogging effort. I shall tune in.
 
Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?